As a Self-Taught Graphic Designer, I have faced many difficulties while learning design. When I had decided to pursue graphic design I had no clue. Since Youtube a well-known platform where many people upload a lot of videos, I started my learning with it.
But there were too many videos about graphic design, I had to go through each video one by one most of them wasn’t good enough and which was time-consuming.
Eventually, I found some great videos which helped in my further learning and some guide to get started. After a while, I realized that I was hurrying to learn everything that I never learned the fundamentals of design.
These are the collection of tutorial videos for beginner graphic designer
1. How to Get Started in Design – Episode 1
This video is geared towards people who have an interest in becoming professional graphic designers but don’t know where to start. In this series, I’ll be covering topics such as :
- What to Learn
- Projects to Make
- Portfolio Building
- Landing Clients
2. Beginning Graphic Design: Fundamentals
Fundamentals in very important in graphic design, So never start your design with career without a proper idea about it. So, Learning the fundamentals must be the first goal for beginners graphic designer.
The video explains the main elements of art and design:
- The rule of thirds
3. Beginning Graphic Design: Layout & Composition
When you have got an overview of Fundamentals, then learn Layout & Composition is the next thing beginner graphic designer should know. If your design doesn’t have a layout then people won’t see it as you want them to see the design.
This video explains the five basic principles of layout and composition :
- White space
4. Beginning Graphic Design: Typography
Although, Typography is everywhere, from every letter you read to every letter you write. But most of us still struggle with type.
Typography is the art and technique of arranging type to make written language legible, readable, and visually appealing for the user. So, Having a basic understanding with types is a must and will help you when you have just started.
This video explains the difference between Serif, San Serif, Display, Script, Blackletter, All Caps, Decorative:
- How to use and combine various fonts to make graphics elements stand out and visually appealing
- Which fonts to avoid &
- Other important terms like
- Tracking and
5. Beginning Graphic Design: Color
Color plays a vital role in the design and in every day-to-day life. In design, Selecting the right color is so difficult and for the beginner, it’s even more challenging. So understanding color usage is a must-learn skill for creative. Likewise, Color can be used to communicate ideas without using words at all.
Color can draw user eyes to an image. It triggers an emotional response, If you want to dive deep then you can check the Color Meaning reading the blog post by 99designs.. Color meanings and the art of using color symbolism
This video explains about color and gives an ideas about:
- Hue, saturation, and value (HSV)
- Creating monochromatic, analogous, and other color palettes
- Avoiding common color mistakes
- Choosing the right color
- Finding inspiration
6. Beginning Graphic Design: Images
This video explains how to
- Finding quality stock images
- Editing images using cropping, resizing, and other adjustments
7. Beginning Graphic Design: Branding & Identity
This video explains about Visual Identity for the brand,
8. Typography Tutorial – 10 rules to help you rule type
When starting out, it is best to learn the fundamentals of good design:
- Hierarchy (primary, secondary and tertiary reads),
- Flow (how a person “reads” the layout by following the movement of their attention),
- Legibility (in Western culture, the type is read top to bottom,
- Left to Right so it’s important to arrange type accordingly),
- Grouping (organizing blocks of type in intelligent and logical groups) and interest,
- Achieved through contrast (scale, texture, color, density, negative space).
When you get confused, Just use any typeface you like as long as it’s one of the following:
Akzidenz Grotesque, Avenir, Avant Garde, Bell Gothic, Bodoni, Bembo, Caslon, Clarendon, Courier, Din Mittelschrift, Franklin Gothic, Frutiger, Futura, Garamond, Gill Sans, Gotham, Helvetica, Letter Gothic, Memphis, Meta, OCRB, Rockwell, Sabon, Trade Gothic, Trajan, and Univers.
9. The Logo Design Process From Start To Finish
The Logo Design Process: when you design a logo, you should follow a precise logo design process to ensure that your final design be the right solution for the client problem. There is always precise steps that will guarantee you a great final logo design:
Brief: where you send to the client a detailed logo design questionnaire to collect all the information needed. Research and Mind mapping: in this phase, you should make a deep search about the industry, and the competitors of your client, you will also learn about your client’s target audience.
Sketching And Refining : this step is about putting ideas on paper no matter how you drawing look like, its about gathering as much logo design concept as possible, then choosing the right ones an clean it.
Digitizing: you will digitizing your sketches and making them scalable vector logo designs.
Delivery: the final phase where you make a good presentation with all your logo design concepts and present them to the client.
10. Design Theory: How To Make Dynamic Compositions
In this video, you will see how to add contrast to your frames which can drastically improve your compositions and effectiveness of your storytelling. If you ever find yourself stuck with a boring composition, Start experiment with the contrast value, weight, size, and color of your subjects.
Start drastically, then pull it back.
- One formula I like to use often is 1 really BIG object – usually the subject, and most important element in the frame.
- 1-2 medium-sized objects – secondary elements to give meaning to the main object.
- Tons of very tiny objects – tertiary elements to give movement and additional context for the frame
You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.Joe Sabah
5 MIND BLOWING Logo Design Tips
Everyone like when they get a bonus, Here some bonus video for beginner graphic designer who wants to make a logo for a company.
Mastering Logo Design in Adobe Illustrator
How To Design A Modern Logo | Start To Finish
In the hope that every designer might find this blog useful. In the upcoming blog, I will help you find your passion and how to see the world through designer eyes. Let’s learn together.
Check out my blog on line, Which is one of the element of design. So, Learning and understanding about line is need to make you fundamental strong.